[LargeFormat] f32 forum help

Clive Warren Clive.Warren at f32.net
Wed Dec 14 19:44:13 EST 2005

At 10:24 am +0100 14/12/05, tomphoto at gmx.at wrote:
>Hello Clive,
>
>let me know of your needs, hope the f32.net dont get lost.
>Sent an request to all the members and we alltogether
>will help f32 forum is going on.
>
>regards from an cold vienna,
>Tom Prack
>phototom.com

Hello Tom, and to all of the other very positive responses. I have to
admit that I have been close to throwing in the towel.

There have already been a few financial contributions and I would
like to make a couple of them public as they are from two of the
people who have consistently supported f32 over the last five years -
I will of course ask those kind people if they are happy for that
info. to be made public. Thank you very much indeed to those who have
contributed.

Ignoring the time taken to put the site together and gather the
community, on average I have spent around an hour every evening since
starting the Community of Practice solely in stemming the tide of
spam and attacks on the server. Every so often the protection is
completely re-engineered by yours truly and seems to stop most of the
spam for a while. The last time I checked, there were over 35000 spam
and malicious messages a day hitting the mail server. Imagine if only
1% of those messages get through and you can probably grasp the EMail
nightmare and the disruption in communications.

The latest problem took around 6 hours of work to resolve so far and
there is still more work to do. I refuse to be beaten by the spammers!

Updating the web site has suffered and for that I apologise. I have
never wanted to to make subscriptions compulsory and so every so
often I have requested that those who find the various aspects of
f32.net useful to put their hands in their pockets to contribute if
they find the facilities useful or entertaining. For  that purpose
there has been a donation button on the front page of the f32.net web
site for a number of years - sadly, not used very often.

It has been suggested to me recently that I should set up a facility
to regularly take one or two dollars a month as a subscription. This
idea I am seriously considering. In the meantime I would ask that if
you can spare some hard earned cash to help defray the costs then I
would be very grateful and it would certainly help me in paying for
the hosting and bandwidth charges that I pay every month.  f32 is a
non-profit making organisation but is has cost me plenty over the
years!

A mention should be made of one of the most gifted large format
photographers that I have had the pleasure to meet, Graeme Hird, who
has made the Photography Critique section of the f32 Forum an
excellent place to showcase work. Thank you very much indeed Graeme
for all of the hard work.

There are still a couple of glitches with the Forum since the last
upgrade and I am consultation with the software authors currently to
address these problems.

Finally, thanks to all of you for staying with f32.net and making it
the vibrant and informed and friendly community that is unique on the
web.

Good light,