[LargeFormat] Wollensak Studio Shutter

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Nov 23 01:04:24 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Les Newcomer" <LNPhoto at twmi.rr.com>
To: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk at ix.netcom.com>; "f32 Large
Format Photography Mail List" <largeformat at f32.net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 7:45 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Wollensak Studio Shutter

> Volute   pat 798,595  in case you were interested

    I thought I had this but didn't. For some reason I
thought the Volute was invented by Edward Bausch, the son of
J.J.Bausch, one of the founders. I think this is due to a
misreading of something in Rudolf Kingslak's little book on
Rochester lens and camera makers. In fact, the Volute patent
is issued to Theodore Brueck who also invented the
clock-work speed regulator. Breuck and a partner Klein, left
B&L and started Ilex rather than give away this invention.
Its interesting that the Volute is also his work. USP
1,091,666, 1,092,110, and 1,122,950 describe the clockwork
mechanism.
   Both the Volute and Wollensak shutters seem based on the
type of iris diaphragm described in USP 21,470 Harrison &
Schnitzer 1858. In this arrangement the leaves are roughly
trianglar and supported by pins at two corners.
   Again, thank you so much for these numbers.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk at ix.netcom.com