[LargeFormat] Carl Zeiss Dagor 180mm f9

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Oct 1 03:06:53 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Timothy Atherton" <tim at KairosPhoto.com>
To: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk at ix.netcom.com>; "f32 Large
Format Photography Mail List" <largeformat at f32.net>
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2005 9:51 PM
Subject: RE: [LargeFormat] Carl Zeiss Dagor 180mm f9

> Thanks Richard, tons of info.
>
> I borrowed one of a colleague for a while - it's a very
> very nice lens (it
> was probably later rather than earlier and was in a COmpur
> shutter). Someone
> was telling me it was a Protar III just renamed after
> Zeiss bought Goerz,
> but I didn't think so.
>
> tim a

   There is a story to this. At about the same time that
Emil von Hoegh was designing the Dagor Paul Rudolph was
working on a similar lens. Rudolph's lens was also a double
meniscus type with each half consisiting of three cemented
elements but, in Rudolph's lens, the powers were in a
different order. In the Dagor the outer elements are
positive with the negative element sandwiched in between.
Rudolph's version had the positive element in the center
sandwiched between two negative elements. Actually, von
Hoegh also covers this arrangement in his patent. von Hoegh
got precidence on the patent but Rudolph also was able to
get a patent on his version. Now, an interesting thing is
that before he he took his design to  C.P.Goerz von Hoegh
approached Zeiss. There is a cute story that von Hoegh was
carrying a Christmas goose under his arm for his family and
was not taken seriously by the Zeiss people. I think it is
much more likely that he was rejected as a Zeiss designer
because Rudolph knew von Hoegh had a rival design to his
own. Zeiss did make some lenses of the Rudolph pattern as
"Triple Protars" but never pushed the design much. The
Schneider Angulon has the same arrangement of powers as the
Rudolph design but uses oversize outter elements to get
around mechanical vignetting. This is not a problem when von
Hoegh's arrangement is used because it results in a shorter
lens with less vignetting. There are other arrangements of
three cemented elements in a double meniscus lens. The best
known of these is the Voigtlander Kollinear. Curiously,
there was another case of simultaneous and independant
invention here, Steinheil also came up with the same design
at about the same time. Steinheil called his lens the
Orthostigmat. Patents were issued to both companies and
actual lenses sometimes have the other's patent number on
them. Evidently they cross-licensed their patents. None of
the alternative forms has any advantage over the Dagor. The
type has one fault: a large residue of zonal spherical
aberration. This results in some softness when used wide
open and some focus shift when stopped down. Actually, the
blur due to the spherical is of a pleasant nature so Dagors
are useful as mildly soft focus lenses when used near
maximum aperture. Spherical aberration is proportional to
the stop so Dagors in all variations become very sharp when
stopped down about three stops. All double meniscus lenses
are inherently wide angle lenses. Plain Dagors will cover
(barely) 87 degrees at f/45.
   A single cell of a Dagor can be used alone but the
correction for coma is dependant on symmetry so single cells
must be used at quite small stops to be reasonably sharp,
around f/36 being the maximum.
   The Zeiss index is a compendium of lens designs put
together mainly by Willie Merte, one of the great Zeiss
Designers. It includes all sorts of lenses made from around
the late teens to the late 1930's. This internal document
was captured after WW-2 and published. The lenses in it are
included in the lens design survey program LensView, which I
am fortunate enough to have by courtesy of its author. The
Zeiss Index shows that Zeiss was evidently quite interested
in the Dagor design and there are many variations of it
included. Zeiss had a rival design which was introduced not
long after the original Dagor. This is the Convertible
Protar. As mentioned above while Dagor cells can be used
alone for long focus lenses they are not corrected for coma.
Coma is corrected by symmetry so a complete Dagor has very
little but the individual cells have a lot. Paul Rudolph
decided that by combining an "old glass" and "new glass"
pair in a single cell (by cementing them, 4 cemented
elements in each cell) he could obtain a true convertible
where each cell was corrected for coma. Convertible Protar
lenses were sold in sets of up to five cells of varying
focal length along with a barrel and shutter. By using the
cells alone or combining them a great variety of focal
lengths could be obtained along with good performance. Used
combined the Convertable Protar has no advantage over a
combined Dagor and maybe less coverage, but individually the
cells perform much better.
   Modern large format lenses and enlarging lenses are often
of a type which traces its ancestery to the Dagor. This type
is called the Plasmat. In effect, the Plasmat is a Dagor
with the inner elements split off and air spaced. The
advantage is that the additional degrees of freedom allow
much better correction of the zonal spherical which plagues
the cemented meniscus types. Plasmats are also capable of
excellent correction for astigmatism and, like their
prototypes, they are essentially wide angle lenses. The
first Plasmat type was designed by Ernst Arbeit of Shultz
and Billerbeck but the name comes from a lens designed by
Paul Rudolph during his second career for Hugo Meyer.
Another older lens of this general type is the Wide Angle
Xpres (the regular Xpres is of a different type) made by
Ross, and the Zeiss Orthometar of Merte. However, because of
the flare from the eight glass air surfaces, this type of
lens did not become popular with designers until afte good
anti-reflection coatings became available after WW-2.
Because air spacing can result in much improved correction
and cheaper construction than is possible with all cemented
lens designs such designs died out pretty quickly after
coating became available.
   von Hoeg, by the way, was also responsible for the
"dialyte" type lens. The first was his Celor but the type
was perfected by designers such as Walther Szchokke, of
Goerz, who designed the Dogmar and famous Apochromatic
Artar, which are of this type.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA