[LargeFormat] SEPT Theme "Your rarest camera" (s)

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Sep 23 01:52:47 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Les Newcomer" <LNPhoto at twmi.rr.com>
To: "f32" <largeformat at f32.net>
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 10:24 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] SEPT Theme "Your rarest camera" (s)

> This month's theme subject over on the Internet Directory
> of Camera Collectors list serve is to talk about the
> rarest camera in your collection.  I thought I might throw
> this over here because: A it's way too quiet, and B.  IDCC
> seems to be a bunch of miniature camera collectors and
> don't recognize what a real camera looks like.
>
> Ken Hough's been wanting this photo for nearly a year, so
> this month's theme and the fact I cleared enough trash out
> of the garage attic to set up a makeshift studio, got me
> away from the computer to actually shoot it.
>
> http://home.twmi.rr.com/lnphoto/earlyspeedback.jpg   Why
> they put a drop-down glass cover on the back is anybody's
> guess.  Several other cameras in their line at the time
> had the popup hood already.  Some have scoffed and said it
> was a post sale modification, but the patent numbers on
> the inside read correctly when dropped down.  The patents
> on the pop up style hood read correctly when looked at
> from bellow.  If transposed, both would be upside down.
> Not shown on the handle side is a small brass plaque, very
> similar to the Speed Table that says "Marshal Field
> Company"

   The above camera appears to have several patents listed
on the inside of the drop down cover. Are they readable on
the original photo or can you get them. If they are numbers
anyone can get the patents from the U.S. Patent and Trade
Mark Office web site. If they are only dates I can try to
find them at the Los Angeles Public Library patent room
which has a complete set of gazetts.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA