[LargeFormat] Wide field and Commercial Ektars

Georges Giralt georges.giralt at free.fr
Tue Aug 9 15:38:09 EDT 2005

Les Newcomer a écrit :
> Does anybody have an introduction date or "earliest known" date for
> these lenses in any focal length? The best I can get is a 1948 edition
> of "Kodak Lenses"  which mentions them, but doesn't say they are new or
> just introduced.
>
> While I'm asking for dates, when did the Copal shutters start coming
> into the US market?
>
> Les
Hi Les !
I've just checked a French book of 1947 vintage.
My thought is that Kodak (and many others ) had a boost using the
knowledge German people had, and get as a reward, the know how to
improve some "well known" optics gained by the Zeiss, and Schneider.
In my book, the "new " (in 1947 ) optics from SOM, Boyer and al are
copycats of pre war Schneider or Zeiss optics.
My opinion is that Kodak, and to a lesser extent the Japanese get access
to the very same information  French and Great Britain opticists had at
the end of the war when people could go into the German optics
secrets... Be it glass making secret or technical knowledge in centering
or polishing the lenses...
I remember my grand father telling me he has seen coated German optics
_before_ WWII. When had Kodak (and others) begun to coat their optics ???
Of course, this is just a thought, so I may be wrong... Don't take it
for granted ;-) I was not born at that time ....
--
Ce message est constitué d'au moins 50 % d'électrons recyclés.
Aucun électron n'a été blessé ou forcé d'aucune manière