[LargeFormat] F.S. 50-Sheet Box Tmax 100 8x10

Schuyler Grace schuyler at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 23 01:16:49 EST 2005

Well, I hadn't realized there was a problem until someone on the Alt Photo
list mentioned it, and then I saw reference to it, again, in Dick Arentz's
revised Pt/Pd printing book.  To make a long story a little shorter, Kodak
apparently changed the Tmax 100 (8x10 only, to the best of my understanding,
even though it makes very little sense the 4x5 version wasn't affected) base
to include a UV blocker for some reason known only to the little yellow
people (Kodakers, that is, not the Simpsons).  Anyway, it finally dawned on
me that every one of a bunch of negatives I was having trouble printing in
Pt/Pd was done on the newer film, even though the negatives looked fine to
the naked eye.  However, these same negatives are apparently very dense in
the UV domain, so that was what was causing me so much trouble.

The changeover in specs came when Kodak changed the film boxes to read "100
Tmax" from having read "Tmax 100."  However, to my knowledge, Kodak has
never actually stated there was any such change or a reason for it.

Oh and, I do know how to spell "refrigeration," but Outlook both mangled my
first e-mail and undid all my spelling changes.  Hmmm...I wonder if
Microsoft has bought out Kodak...

-Schuyler