[largeformat] Morse Developing tanks

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Feb 19 17:18:49 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "LNPhoto" <LNPhoto at twmi.rr.com>
To: "f32" <largeformat at f32.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 9:58 AM
Subject: [largeformat] Morse Developing tanks

> While things are both cold and ugly out there I thought I
> throw this out to the group most likely to know...
>
> Morse was a company that made many things for the US
> Government during WWII and  the Korean War.
>
> On of their more interesting items is a large daylight
> tank for 5x7 film.   Officially called the Model 507  it
> had a light trap in the bottom.  You loaded the film on
> 5x7 hangers closed the lid and then you could process your
> film in 8x10 deep tanks (3.5 gallon) with the lights on.
>
> And while one could certainly process 4x5 film on 4x5
> hangers or 2 up 4x5/5x7 hangers, I was wondering if
> anybody knows if they made a 4x5 version of this beast.
> Watching ebay has only produced confused results.  Some
> say theirs only did 4x5, but they could have been saying
> that because that's the hangers that came with it.
>

> Les

  AFAIK there was no 4x5 version but there might have been
an 8x10 tank. I haven't seen a Morse tank for years. They
allow tank processing on standard hangers in daylight. the
5x7 version should take 4x5 hangers.
  Morse also made machines for processing 100 foot rolls of
16mm or 35mm film and a series of large contact printers for
aerial film which used arrays of UV lamps. I believe they
also made automatic machines for processing aerial roll
film.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA