[LargeFormat] Convertible lenses

Ole Tjugen largeformat@f32.net
Thu Dec 16 15:18:26 2004

There are many convertible lenses, and several different constructions.
There are even some well-known lenses which were intended as convertibles,
but have not been marketed as such.

The only convertibles I have any experience with are Symmars and Angulons
(!).

Convertible Symmar lenses are good when "whole", and give decent
performance when converted. Certainly good enough for contact printing,
but I would not shoot colour intended for enlargement this way.

Angulons were originally intended as convertible normal lenses with lots
of coverage, and can very well be used as such. A 90/6.8 converts to
140/12, 120/6.8 to 185/12, and 165/6.8 to 260/12. The performance of half
a 165/6.8 Angulon on 5x7" film is quite good - I was surprised when I
tried this. From that a 120 should be good on 4x5", and a 210 on 8x10".

Ole Tjugen