[LargeFormat] Washington Coast

Paul Butzi largeformat@f32.net
Mon Aug 9 11:54:10 2004

Several recent posts were asking about locations to photograph on the WA
coast (and perhaps the OR coast).

I just returned from co-leading a workshop on the WA coast.  We visited
quite a few of the beaches - on this particular trip we visited First Beach
(at La Push), Second Beach (trail head is off the road just before you reach
La Push), Ruby Beach (south of Forks, at the north end of the Kalaloch
stretch of beaches), and Beach 3, south of Ruby beach and north of the
Kalaloch lodge and ranger station.

David Clarridge and I also scouted Rialto Beach (north across the river from
First Beach), along with Beach 4 and the Hoh River, rejecting those for the
workshop not because they aren't interesting photographically but because
they were less suitable for a large group with diverse interests, and
because of the timing and such.  The Hoh river, which had both David and I
practically falling down with excitement last year, was this summer quite
murky, lower than we expected, and on the stretch of river we wanted to
work, poorly aligned with the evening light.

At all of the beaches David and I found relatively large changes from last
year - a lot of sand has been moved around, and the changes in sand level
have exposed some rocks previously hidden, covered rocks previously exposed,
and moved stream exits substantially.  Every time I return to the beaches,
they're new and fresh and exciting!

One primary consideration for photographing on the beaches on the WA coast
is how the tide aligns with sunrise and sunset.  I generally try to be there
at a time when there's a deep minus tide (e.g. -2.0 feet or lower) in the
morning, around sunrise.  If anyone is interested, I'll run tide charts and
email them to folks, it's not much trouble unless a bazillion people all
want them.

I (and probably a lot of other folks) can offer much more concrete advice
about WA beaches if someone is looking for something in particular.
Likewise advice on places to stay out there, places to eat (or places to
avoid!), and so on.

I'm also very fond of the OR coast, particularly between the OR/CA border
and just a bit north of Bandon, so a discussion of favorite places down
there might be fun, too.

 - Paul Butzi

www.butzi.net