[LargeFormat] LF Photographers - Canadian Arctic

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jul 9 00:34:09 2004

This didn't seem to make it to the list... and on re-reading your post,
I see you're not overly interested in Nunavut which is where this guy
was most active I believe... but interesting to look at all the same.
My original text...:

Besides you, you mean? ;-)

Actually, yes.  John Dunn.  He did a slide show here in Kamloops several
years back after walking and paddling Ellesmere Island in the early
'90's(?).  Very interesting speaker, he had a couple of medium format
slide projectors doing some very impressive (for the time anyway)
dissolves and special effects.  I believe he shot a fair amount of 4x5
too, as I recall asking him afterwards about the quality of the
reductions to medium format for the presentation and the fun of loading
and unloading in those harsh conditions.

After a little googling:

http://www.expeditiontrips.com/research/arctic-information-expedition.asp

and even better:

http://www.arcticlight.com

Some very nice stuff.  Even more impressive when you know the hardships
he endured to get the images.

Funny, one of the anecdotes I do remember quite vividly... he and his
partner stumbled upon a DEW line installation, no longer manned.  But it
did have a video camera tied to a satellite link to provide some degree
of security.  He snuck up on the camera and pretty much stuck his
bearded, weathered face in it and started to scream 'my submarine is
full of eels' in Russian.  This was evidently borrowed from a Monty
Python skit which I have yet to see.  Must have startled the hell out of
some poor operator at NORAD...  Pretty funny the way he told it.

Brock