Was [LargeFormat] Just quiet or out of order? - CUSTOMS

David Swinnard largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jun 30 22:25:19 2004

Yeah!  I had GST charged, not on the cost of the repair ($75 US =
converted to
about 1/2 million CDN$), but on the value declared on the customs
declaration sticker (~$300 US).  The guy at the door just wanted my
signature and the money - oh, you have a problem? Take it up with the
government, call this number - and by the way, we'll keep the package =
until
you pay up. (and the "service" charge above and beyond the GST)

I paid, fumed, wrote the repair person involved to warn them about this =
for
future Canadian customers and fumed some more.  BUT, I did have my meter =
and
a good lesson.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: largeformat-admin@f32.net [mailto:largeformat-admin@f32.net] On =
Behalf
Of Brock Nanson
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 5:13 PM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Just quiet or out of order?

Don't get me started! ;-)

They want to get their pound of flesh on everything that crosses the=20
border.  In this case, I think they'll want GST on the value of the=20
repair.  If they'd just get around to doing so.  The package entered=20
their hands on May 27th and I have yet to see it.  Called Customs, they=20
told me 4 weeks shouldn't be unexpected... seems the couriers get=20
special treatment, so the postal stuff sits and waits until they get=20
around to it.  'So much to do, so much to do... what's this navel lint=20
doing in here?'

Brock