[LargeFormat] C-Claron 190mm f4.5 - Paperweight?

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed Apr 14 19:51:42 2004

At 20:21 13/04/2004 -0600, Michael Briggs wrote:

>On 12-Apr-2004 Clive Warren wrote:
snip
> > Right, so no iris, no mounting flange, barrel measures about 3 1/4"
> > diameter and is about 3" long, beautiful coated glass and a lot of
> > potential - or is it a paperweight?  Did I mention it is heavy :-)
> > Suggestions please.
>
>The German website of Schneider has an archive of old brochures:
>http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/archiv/archiv.htm.
>
>Two cover the C-Clarons.  "C" is for Copy.  They were for copying machines:
>snip>
>c_claron.pdf has some German text.   There is a diagram of the use in a
>copying
>machine, with a mirror (Spiegel) behind the lens.   Does this mean that the
>light rays are supposed to go through the lens twice?
snip
>The cited optical systems can be used naturally also be used for reproduction
>ratios near 1:1.
>
>ccn.pdf looks to be newer and has the specs for your lens: the picture
>diagonal
>is 364 mm at 1:1 and it has 6 elements in 4 groups.
snip

Joe, it seems that we both have paperweights!

Michael, thank you for the info on the lens and taking the trouble to find
the pdf. If the focal length was a little longer then I would consider it
to be useful for portraiture on 4x5. As it is, I can't really think of any
useful purpose for it.