[LargeFormat] Rotating Back Locks on Graflex RB Cameras

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Mon Apr 12 08:42:02 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@megacycle.co.uk>
Sent: Apr 12, 2004 5:15 AM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: [LargeFormat] Rotating Back Locks on Graflex RB Cameras

At 09:37 21/03/2004 -0500, Jim Hemenway wrote:
>Hi Clive:
>
>My "D" has a chrome button on the very back edge of the right side, just
>to the left of the shutter winding knob.  It's very stiff and takes more
>effort that one would expect to push it in far enough to rotate the
>back... which is a Graflok back as well.

Hello Jim,

My RB has the same arrangement but as a Graflok back has been retrofitted
many years before it came along to me, it may be the case that the
conversion compromised the action of the pin. I have just revisited this
thread as I was playing around with the RB to see if I could work out how
to remove the Graflok back to have a bit of a fettle.

At the moment, the pin moves freely and is sprung. It works perfectly in
stopping the back rotating counter-clockwise. Unfortunately it does not
appear to lock the back from turning clockwise. So, pressing the button in
allows the back to rotate counter-clockwise. Hmmmm......

Has anyone pulled one of these RB Camera backs apart?  Without looking too
closely, it is a bit of a mystery as to where to start. Anyone have any
experience or knowledge about how the pin actually works in locking the
back?  At the moment it is a bit of a pain to keep the back in the correct
position when handholding.

  I've had my Super-D opened a couple of times, once to service the shutter. I'm not at home at the moment so can't look at the thing for a reminder but this is from memory. The Graflok back is held on the camera by five screws four are on the back escutchion and one is in the center of the opening for the film holder. Take the ground glass panel off to see it. When these screws are removed the back lifts off. The Graflok, or regular Graflex back, mounts on the rotating part of the overall camera back. This is held on the camera by about eight screws, all of which are visible when the Graflok or Graflex back is removed. This back comes off as a unit. My memory is that the locating latch is part of it. When this back is removed it exposes the shutter rollers and guide rollers.
  Once removed the problem with the turntable or latch should be obvious. It may even be that the back is not installed correctly and is binding something. For the most part the construction of Graflex cameras is very simple.
    Taking the back off should not take more than about five minutes. I always work in a box of some sort to catch any dropped parts.

Richard Knoppow
dickburk@ix.netcom.com
Los Angeles, CA, USA