[LargeFormat] lightweight 300mm enlarging/copy/repro lens?

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sat Mar 20 17:30:02 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "tripspud" <tripspud@transbay.net>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 6:18 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] lightweight 300mm
enlarging/copy/repro lens?

> Hi Jim,
>
>       It's possible to use a regular lens/shutter, but
requires
> pre-releasing the mirror.  This would be a cheap way
> to use electronic flash.  I'll bet the Alphax shuttes are
> what those fashion photographers use/want.  Does
> the modification Grimes' does allow the mirror the
> release and fire the between the lens shutter via
> only depressing the on camera shutter release?
> If that's the case, that's the mod I want Grimes'
> shop to do for me.
>
> Rich

  The way the Graflex works is that the shutter is tripped
by the mirror when it comes up. The trip lever on the side
of the camera releases the _mirror_. When the mirror comes
up it hits another little lever which releases the shutter.
In order to use a front shutter you must use the camera with
the Time-Instantaneous lever under the shutter winding key
in Time. This allows releasing the mirror and shutter
separately. Probably what you would have to do is to set
this lever in T, set the shutter curtain for "O", for open,
and re-set the mirror with the setting lever, which is also
near the winding key. When ready to shoot you would have to
close the shutter, and rais the mirror by pushing the
regular release lever. Then fire the shutter. Since the
shaft which operates the automatic diaphragm is operated by
the shutter release lever it would trip a front shutter
before the mirror came up. This thing works because it
releases the diaphragm first, which then has time to close
down while the mirror is coming up. The mirror then trips
the shutter.
  While Graflex made some models of the Graflex camera which
took front shutters as an auxilliary, I think the
Auto-Graflex was made like this, the front shutter was meant
mainly for use when the ground glass attachment was used
rather than the reflex finder. Most Graflex cameras can
double as view cameras this way. The Auto-Graflex had some
limited movements and longer bellows draw than most others.
  It may be that Grime's shop can work out something but I
think the use of a front shutter on a Graflex is not worth
the effort. Have a look at what Hassleblad had to do to use
a front shutter.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA