[LargeFormat] Bad Kodak Lens

philip lambert largeformat@f32.net
Mon Mar 15 12:11:20 2004

> As your lens problem persists it may be easier to find another lens as
they
> are fairly common and inexpensive. If it will help I can have a look at
the
> lens here and give you any information you need. Good luck with it.

Certainly, usable old lenses seem cheap on Ebay.co.uk.  I bought a 90mm f3.5
Sekor and  Polaroid f4.5 lenses in self-cocking shutters in 75mm, 105mm and
127mm focal lengths for really quite modest prices, also a Horseman 65mm
f5.6 slightly dearer. This comes in its own metal lensboard carrying the
flash socket so I am making an adapter for my Sinar and Calumet RFB.
Recently I added a Kodak f4.5  6 3/8 inch anastigmat in a Wollensak shutter
which looks good and seems not to be coated, but I think it's too big to be
usable on my 2x3 Century Graphic, unlike the 80mm f2.8 Sekor that has a
small balsam fault at one edge.  This lens was one of a pair sold for the
Mamiyaflex 330 etc and covers 6x7 at f16.  I like it because the screen
image is very bright when used indoors.  Separated from its matching
viewfinder upper lens and put on a wooden panel, it lacked a cable release
socket so I contrived one that works, although aligning the cable tip with
the shutter release took some time.  This lens and shutter cost about £20
with the balsam fault and I don't charge for my time.  I enjoy adapting
lenses for cameras nature never intended.  I wish I could adapt lenses
without shutters to fit on a large shutter at the rear as such lenses are
absurdly cheap but a suitable shutter eludes me and it would move the lens
away from the film so would not suit w/a lenses with a short back focus.
Quite apart from vignetting.

If you want 100mm Symmars or Sironars (Planar even) they can sometimes be
found on ebay.co.de at reasonable prices.  I bought a Linhof medium size B&S
head from Germany by sending Euro notes signed for on delivery and the head
arrived two days later. It won't quite cope with my Sinar and unfortunately
it has the 3/8 Whitworth thread so I need a wide adapter to 1/4inch,  not
found so far, but eventually it will serve for my smaller cameras.
There's always the question of what redress will you have if an ebay item is
a let-down when you get it but mostly people are reasonable. I sent a
MamiyaPress back lately for a refund of the price and lost the postage both
ways.
Philip