[LargeFormat] apo ronar

animal largeformat@f32.net
Sat Feb 21 08:14:01 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph O'Neil" <joneil@multiboard.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2004 1:11 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] apo ronar

> Hi everyway;
> I picked up an60mm apo-ronar yesterday - I litterally tore apart the
> process camera by hand - sad to see these things going away - give it ten
> years, nobody will remember what they looked like.  :(
>
> Lens is in excellent shape, and i still harbour dreams of jumping from 4x5
> to 8x10, so I jumped at the chance for the lens.  No shutter of course
> (anybody got a spare Ilex #5?  :), but can anone tell me how to date a
lens
> form the serial number for Rodestock?  I know how to for Kodak and I have
> the list for Schneider, but not Rodenstock.  The serial number on this one
> is 10231544.
>
> On a bit of a tangent, is anyone else sad to see these process cameras
> bign shut down everywhere?  I mean, i fully understand business wise it is
> happening,a nd every time a local one shuts down and I hear aobut it, my
> lenses collection grows - for example, I have a wonderful red dot artar
> 8.24" I use all the time with splended results.  I even get used ot
> focusing at F9, becuase i backpack a lot and th elens is small and light.
>
> But still, I thkk all the technique and technology and even the art of
> using these process cameras will sooon be a hting of the past, something
> just sad about that.
> joe
>

> http://www.oneilphoto.on.ca
> http://www.multiboard.com/~joneil
> Una salus victis, nullam sperare salutem
>
> potius deficere quam desperare

just missed buying a 24 inch fast big apo artar process lens and still
regret it.
One never knows there might be some use for these yet.
After reading about hat,s for shutters here , gave it a try recently , with
an old Xenar.
And amazed myself(that it actually worked)and some digital pro pj,s , who
ridiculed the whole thing ,
with the results.
WIth all our big cars someone will somewhere make really big cameras again
on really big modern film.
Wonder what that would look like when compared to the output from a 100 mb
file.
best regards
simon jessurun