[LargeFormat] Chicago...tripods and the law

LNPhoto largeformat@f32.net
Thu Feb 19 12:50:22 2004

On Thursday, February 19, 2004, at 12:11  PM, Brock Nanson wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Joseph O'Neil wrote:
>
>> At 09:13 2/19/04 -0500, you wrote:
>>> Naaa,
>>>
>>> Different days, different people.  A lot of your woes come would
>>> come from
>>> misguided and ignorant passerby's that go call 911 because they see
>>> someone
>>> with a camera on a tripod shooting the towns water reservoir.   You
>>> must be
>>> up to no good, if not, why are you hiding under that black hood??
>>

>> -snip-
>>
>>          Actually, now that the subject has been broched, I ahve been
>> an
>> amatuer astornomer for over 20years now, and our local astornomy club
>> has a
>> million and one tales of the police comming to investiage "hodlums,
>> terriorts" and more.
>>
>>          Remember - we are outside at NIGHTTIME with strange
>> intruments on
>> a tripods - and if you guys think you have it bad, I can tell you -
>> God's
>> honest truth - long before 9-11, we have had it worse.   My favourite
>> local
>> story is a group of my friends who had the provincial police decend
>> on them
>> en masse one night, because a passing motorist phoned in on thier
>> cell a
>> report of a "bunch fo holdums witha stolen hot water heater in the
>> middle
>> of a corn feild"    Don't ask, I dunno either.
>>
>>          Then there was the guy from nothern Ontario  who setup in a
>> feild,
>> apparently too close to a military base here in Canada late one
>> night.   As
>> bad as some of you have had it with police, how many of you have had
>> soldiers level a machine gun at you, demanding to know what you are
>> doing?
>>
>>          there's a thousand more such stories in amatuer astronomy, so
>> don't feel that you are alone ro singled out.  For what it is worth,
>> amatuer astornomers have been putting up with such attitudes since
>> before
>> WW2,a nd some reports i have read, even before WW1 - after all, you
>> ahve to
>> be some sort of "weirdo" to setup an optical instrument ona  tripod
>> late at
>> night, by yourself, ina  dark feild with no lights around.   Can we
>> assume
>> Ansel Adams had a bit freer reign at the same time period?
>>
>>          so, count yourselves lucky, there are those who have it
>> worse.
>
> And then there was this guy by the name of Galileo who really pi$$ed of
> the establishment with his telescope...
>
> What national parks in Canada have the US-ish Draconian laws about
> professional photographers?  I've never heard of such a thing here 'out
> west', but then we tend to be outlaws, laughing regularly in the face
> of
> [...]

Not the camera, but lenses.  I went out to Idaho a couple of years ago
and shipped the 5x7 film and the camera out ahead of time  (I just
couldn't see me getting anywhere with two 100 sheet boxes of exposed
film, saying...."No you can't xray it, no you can look inside, and yes
I do want to bring this on the plane)  but I did bring my Protar
C-set...4 nice brass cylindrical objects inside a nice wood box.  I
also brought a 13" 5.6 Cooke.  Again Nice big cyclindrical object....

I got hit every time It went through the flouroscope.   The procedure
varied from "Tell me where it is, I have to retrieve it"  to  "show me
what's inside".
Other than giving them the once over, and then checking my toes for
fungus, I didn't have a real problem.  But next time I fly with lenses,
I'm wearing sandals.