[LargeFormat] TWO versions of Rodagon 300mm?

Lee Carmichael largeformat@f32.net
Sat Feb 14 11:42:04 2004

I have never heard of two diffrent versions for the graphic arts lenses.  I
could be mistaken.  Vertical cameras were designed to be used in the
darkroom and save space.  Horizonal cameras take up a lot of floor space.

lee\c

-----Original Message-----
From: largeformat-admin@f32.net [mailto:largeformat-admin@f32.net]On
Behalf Of Michael Sullivan
Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2004 10:31 AM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] TWO versions of Rodagon 300mm?

I guess I'm not fully understanding what you mean in your post below.

I thought that "Rodagon" was Rodenstock's designation for an
enlarger-type lens where the reproduction ratio was optimized to be
between 2:1 and 10:1. However, what concerns me is that horizontal
cameras are almost ALWAYS used to copy 1:1. So is it possible that
Rodenstock made TWO DIFFERENT VERSIONS of the Rodagon -- one optimized
for 1:1 (i.e. horizontal applications) and another optimized for 2:1 to
10:1 (i.e. vertical applications). Their literature makes no mention of
any such distinction -- is it possible that in the past there was a
difference?

MJS

On Saturday, February 14, 2004, at 11:21  AM, LNPhoto wrote:

> Since this is a process lens, maybe it refers to the type of graphic
> camera it's to be used on, but most Vertical Graphic cameras were
> small and thus the focal length would separate them
>

> On Saturday, February 14, 2004, at 08:55  AM, Michael Sullivan wrote:
>
>> Dear List,
>>
>> I have an opportunity to purchase a Rodenstock Rodagon 300mm lens for
>> copy work at 10:1 ratio. There are two models available -- one for
>> "vertical" use and another for "horizontal" use.
>>
>> Could it  be that the "horizontal" version is optimized for 1:1
>> copying (typical of horizontal graphic cameras) whereas the
>> "vertical" is optimized for 8:1 for enlarging (as per Rodenstock's
>> literature)?
>>
>> Thoughts? Comments?
>>
>> MJS

Michael Sullivan

J MICHAEL SULLIVAN PHOTOGRAPHY
Marshfield Hills Massachusetts
http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/photography

"It's as though there's a wonderful secret in a
certain place and I can capture it. Only I, at
this moment, can capture it, and only this
moment, and only me." -- Walker Evans