[LargeFormat] Large Format SLR

tripspud largeformat@f32.net
Thu Feb 5 13:30:39 2004

Hi,

       Since I started this speed issue, I should make clear
that what I was comparing was not the speed of a Graflex
SLR with smaller cameras, but the speed of setup of the camera
compared to setting up a field camera on a tripod with darkcloth, etc.

     This IS the large format forum and the main advantage of these
cameras for me is the speed of setup and taking the image while
still getting all the large format real estate in terms of negative size,
mainly a smoothness of tonality and freedom to choose
developers not based on fine grain.

      I just enjoy looking at and producing images with a lot of detail,
not to mention the ability to tailor the development of the negative
for each image.

     BTW, I've mixed up my first batch of Pyro ABC yesterday.
I've never used pyro, so we'll see...even though I don't have the
correct film holders for the 5x7 Press Graflex and the shutter is
not working, I'm going to go ahead with some table top compositions
using Bergger 200 film.  The Graflex can still be used by simple using
the mirror up/down as the shutter, being careful not to jar the camera,
which is mounted on a large column Polaroid MP-4 with camera adapter
and swivel column on casters I put on it.  I was lucky after looking around
for an MP-4 to get a complete unit with the Polaroid 4x5 sliding head and
two macro extension for about $100 locally.  New, these things cost gops years
back
and have all been discontiued because of you know what (digital).  I've got
the lights as well and I can use those off the MP-4 for some still lifes.

     It looks as though the regular 5x7 holders will sort of work, at least
until
I gain some EXPERIENCE with the gear.  After, I'll check with SKGrimes'
shop about servicing the camera which I already love.  Though there's no
reversable back on the 5x7 Graflex, there is a second tripod socket, perhaps
Grimes' shop could put a plate there as the tripod rips the old black leather.

They may be able to even modify the groundglass back to take standard
5x7 holders.  When I'm ready, I'll call them on the phone about it.  As it's
my baby, maybe new groundglasses front and top!

Cheers,

Rich Lahrson
Berkeley, California
tripspud@transbay.net