[LargeFormat] 480 Apo Nikkor Cell Spacing Question

largeformat@f32.net largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jan 25 08:02:32 2004

Fellows:

I have a 480 Apo Nikkor which came to me as a barrel lens and which I had the late Steve Grimes fit into a No.3 shutter for me.  I am having a hard time acheiving sharp focus either at infinity or at relatively close focus (around 6 feet).  I have enough bellows extension. Stopping down from f/9 helps, a little, but does not solve the problem.

I wonder if there could be an error in the cell spacing in the shutter or whether I am seeing the extremely shallow DOF that this lens is sure to have.  Still, I'd expect to be able to focus on a point light source like a highlight reflection (sunlight on chrome).  I don't use this lens routinely, but needed it the other day and had to leave it home.

Any ideas?

Ben Marks
benmarks-at-aol.com