[LargeFormat] 5x7 Press Graflex Film Holders...

LNPhoto largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jan 6 08:48:15 2004

Welcome to the crazy and confused world of Graflex.

Two things separate the GRAFLEX holder from the GRAPHIC or modern
holder.
1st and more obvious is the greater width and the grooves along the
long side of the holder.

2nd and more importantly, it that the light trap on the darkslide side
of the holder is reversed....Graflex holders have a fairly deep groove
while modern holders have one or more commonly, two ridges.

The Press Graflex is the odd duck in that it's the only Reflex type
camera to have a spring loaded ground glass back and yet still takes
the Graflex holders.

5x7 Graflex holders are hard to find. Before I got my PRess Graflex,
there was one auction for about 4 or 5 and they went for quite a sum
(but still not as much as 11x14 holders Jim!) However since this camera
doesn't use the grooves of a Graflex holder it wouldn't take much to
modify some older regular film holders to fit.  Look for the older wood
holders with the metal light traps.  These are great in that the felt
can be replaced but the added benefit over modern plastic holders is
that the ridge can be milled off and replaced with the necessary groove
and the width built up with any hardwood. Really a very easy project.
I would have done this but my camera came with a plate magazine and no
ground glass.  BTW I'm not sure how but the Ground Glass is removable.
Look for some hooks at the top and pins at the bottom of the film
holder slot.

Les