[LargeFormat] Hand Luggage UK Airports - Suggestions?

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jan 5 00:24:16 2004

Michael Briggs wrote:

> On 04-Jan-2004 mark blackman wrote:
>

>>3. If you have to make an insurance claim for damaged equipment, you'll
>>have less hassle if the stuff was handled by the airline or its baggage
>>operator than if you were personally responsible for its care. (I used
>>to work for Lloyds's of London; believe me, insurance companies love to
>>blame the claimant for their own misfortune)
>

> If you are personally responsible for your equipment, loss or damage will be
> less likely.

Probably.  But if you are stuck to check the bag after a ticket agent
finds 'something' wrong with it, that advantage is gone.  There's always
something bound to happen somewhere along the way...

> Before shipping your camera equipment in checked baggage, be sure to carefully
> check the insurance coverage.  Even easier than blaming the claimant is
> pointing out that the policy doesn't cover the loss.   The default coverage
> from the airlines typically excludes photo equipment.   Many homeowners policies
> cover theft but not lost items.  If your checked bag doesn't make it to the
> destination, the insurance company can classify it as lost rather than stolen.
> You might want to purchase additional insurance.

Absolutely be sure of your coverage.  I add a specific rider to my house
insurance to cover the gear in specifics right down to the serial
numbers.  I'm covered for most any eventuality, including throwing the
camera through my picture window.  Oddly enough, the window is included
in the policy too...!

Bottom line, it's just 'stuff'.  So long as I can have it replaced, I'm
not going to let myself get excited if it disappears or is broken.  If
it has a higher personal worth than what they will cover it for, then
leave it at home locked in a fireproof safe.  Accidents happen, you
could just as easily drop the lens or camera at home while loading it
into it's protective carry on bag for the trip!

As far as theft by baggage handlers goes... insure the equipment, then
put in an item you'd LOVE to have replaced.  Murphy will be sure to
guarantee the safe arrival of your bag!

Brock