[LargeFormat] Linhof Technikardan

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jan 3 11:10:15 2004

At 15:07 03/01/2004 +0100, Huib Smeets wrote:
> > BTW your Linhof Technikardan looks rather good in that bag. Who says
> > you can't backpack a monorail. Where is the rail stashed anyway? I
> > have yet to get my hands on a Technikardan to have a play, looks to
> > be a very interesting camera. Does it have shift movements?
> >

>Clive,
>
>The Technikardan is some sort of hybrid between the Kardan monorails and
>the Technika Field camera, hence the name Technikardan. The hybrid
>design was the main reason to choose this camera.
>
>The TK can be folded for transport and the rail is telescoping (3
>sections). The camera offers all basic movements on lens and back
>standard: tilts and swings are limited by bellows. Shift, rise and fall
>are also available. Bellows can be removed to install a bag bellows. The
>film back can be turned 90 degrees. See the linhof webssite for full
>spec's.
>
>The only limitation in my view is the fact that you cannot use lenses
>with very big rear cells! The 300mm Rodenstock on the camera is a thight
>fit and a Super Angulon XL 90mm only fits if you remove the rear
>protection ring.
>
>Time for some pictures:
>
>Folded for transport: http://www.huibsmeets.com/clive/IMG_0821.jpg
>Partly unfolded : http://www.huibsmeets.com/clive/IMG_0823.jpg
>Unfolded: http://www.huibsmeets.com/clive/IMG_0824.jpg
>Rail extended: http://www.huibsmeets.com/clive/IMG_0824.jpg
>
>Some say the fold/unfold is cumbersome but I can set up the camera under
>a minute (from bag to tripod).

Huib,

A very impressive piece of kit. I nipped over to the Linhof web site and
had a quick read. 340mm extension is also very useful - how rigid is the
camera at full extension?

The lens you have fitted seems a bit of a beast - Copal #3 shutter?

The Linhof central control module is mentioned on the Linhof web site and
shown attached to a lensboard although not described. Am assuming that it
is a remote gizmo for setting aperture and shutter speed allowing you to
work behind the camera.

It's always good to have an object of desire :-)