[LargeFormat] Re: 5x7, was Re: rainbows, was R O Y G B I V

philip lambert largeformat@f32.net
Sat Dec 13 05:34:19 2003

> As to rise and fall and movements - remind me to try my 90mm/f:8 Super
Angulon
> on the 5x7" camera. It fits, it can be focused, but nothing can move at
all.
> Next time I must put some film in the camera to see what it looks like ;)
> Many of my recant pictures have been taken with an ancient 9x12cm plate
> camera. Front shift and rise are the only movements, no swings or tilts.
But a
> great little camera for handheld shooting...

I tried various ways of using a wideangle lens with rising front on tight
bellows.
 The best way was making a recessed lensboard to move the lens and shutter
into the bellows throat, to permit the front standard to be pulled forward.
Obviously this requires that the bellows throat be 10mm larger than the
shutter plus its controls. I actually recessed a 47mm S Angulon 5mm into a
tiny Century Graphic board which was enough to relax the bellows partially.
Another idea is to make a lensboard with the lens mounted say 10mm above the
usual mounting centre to give a fixed 10mm rise. If the lensboard can be
mounted the other way up you get 10mm fall and ditto cross front if you can
put the panel in on its side. This requires a square lensboard.
Another idea which works best with a lens having minimal rear protrusion
like a small Xenar is to make a vertical sliding panel on the front of the
lens board, to allow the lens and shutter to move up and down.  This means
much of the lensboard is cut away behind the sliding panel to accept the
rear element. It also has the drawback of moving the lens forward by the
thickness of the plywood you use.  This idea only really works on a camera
with a large front panel and a wide bellows throat.  (Like a Sinar, which
has no need of such devices anyway)
A modern wideangle lens seems to have a longer backfocus than its 1960s
ancestors so the bellows are stretched enough to relax them somewhat. The
cost might deter you.  Philip