[LargeFormat] James Millen flash

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sat Dec 6 16:40:02 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "LNphoto" <LNphoto@twmi.rr.com>
To: "f32" <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2003 1:19 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] James Millen flash

> The latest idea I've had to threaten my life is to
resurrect this half
> of a James Millen electronic flash unit.
>
> http://home.twmi.rr.com/lnphoto/jamesmillen.jpg
>
> I've never heard of James Millen either, I have no idea
when or for how
> long he was in business.  I don't even have the battery
case that this
> should go to.  The only part of the puzzle I have is what
is stamped on
> the lock ring:   "James Millen Malden, Mass" and the fact
that the
> innards look similar to my dad's old Atwater Kent
radio--wax covered
> condensers, cotton covered wire, etc , so I doubt this is
post war, or
> if it is, it isn't by much.
> Now Malden Mass isn't too far away from Boston, Mass
Institute of Tech
> and thus Doc Egerton, another guy that like to live with
bottled
> lighting.  There may be a connection I don't know.
>
> While I'm daring, foolish and even crazy, I know better
than to try to
> put high voltage to what you see in the photos, so my idea
is to use a
> modern flash unit---- a Norman 400B  to power the tube.
The trouble
> is I have no idea what this lovely tube can handle.  If
the power
> supply is greater than the tube, will the tube go or would
the power
> supply fail after a while.
>
> So now to the questions.
>
> the historical one first:  Any body know about (who what
when where)
> James Millen of Malden Mass?
>
> Then the techincal:  anybody no of a person, place or
thing(webpage or
> book) that might have the specs on a Sylvania R4330 Xenon
Flash tube?

  James Millan was an employee of the National Radio
Company, another name from the distant past, but well known
to radio amateurs. At some time in the early 1930's he left
and started his own company making electronic components.
Millan parts were very well known in amateur radio circles.
  I have no idea what happened to the company or how
recently it existed. I don't know anything about the flash
unit.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA