[LargeFormat] Death of Large Format !

Jim Brick largeformat@f32.net
Thu Dec 4 13:33:05 2003

At 12:49 PM 12/4/2003 -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:

>I think this is an amazingly naive statement (although the WORK part
>"might" be legitimate -- however, considering that my digitally-backed 4x5
>is about the same overall weight as your 8x10, it might just be a draw).

Thank you.

No kidding!

:-)

Jim (amazingly naive) Brick

PS... I've been drum scanning film (35mm - 4x5) since the early 90's. When
a LightJet was installed near me (mid 90's) I started using it for all
prints larger than 30x40. I have a print, from a 4x5 transparency, that
sells very well in 48"x60" size. I've never sold a smaller one. Anyway, it
is absolutely needle prick sharp. The digital scanning and LightJet process
seems to enhance sharpness. On the other hand, I have an image that cannot
be printed digitally. It looses impact. The difference between a Ciba and a
LightJet print in this case is stunning. So it only gets printed up to
30x40 on Ciba.

I personally print all of my prints, 20x24 and smaller, optically on
Cibachrome. There is a lab near me that prints Ciba up to 30x40 so they do
my 30x40's. I'm negotiating for a 34" Ciba processor right now so that in
the future, all prints 30x40 and smaller will be done by me in my own
darkroom. Only larger than 30x40 will go to the scanner and LightJet.

Still... there is nothing like a good Cibachrome superglossy print!  Like
passion, It's difficult to describe.

IMHO,

Jim again