[LargeFormat] OT: UK, Lake District, January, what can one expect?

philip lambert largeformat@f32.net
Wed Nov 19 04:54:13 2003

Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] OT: UK, Lake District, January, what can one
expect?
Unless it's really cold, all roads will be open, but expect
> it to be hard going on foot. Having said all that, every year people die
out
> on the hills and the most common cause is being ill-prepared. Take local
 advice, and dress appropriately.

The roads can become impassable after heavy frost due to inadequate gritting
facilities. Not just in the country.  I live in town on a short steep hill
with a T junction at the foot and we come down it at a walking pace
sometimes.   In the Lake District make sure your car starts off with a full
tank so you can run the engine heater all night.  This is not Norway but
people do die here from accidents on winter roads and from cold off the
roads. The beer is warm.  There are sixty million of us surviving so both
problems are minor . Incidentally my LF Compur shutters work badly at slow
speeds in winter but keeping the lenses in my pockets is good
PL