[LargeFormat] Yousef Karsh's Camera

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Thu Nov 13 20:14:02 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clive Warren" <cocam@blueyonder.co.uk>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 4:12 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Yousef Karsh's Camera

> Check out the following bargain on our favorite auction
web site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2573232761&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

> Starting bid: US $25,000.00
>
> No jostling or sniping, form an orderly queue..... :-)
>
> Cheers,
>         Clive

  Interesting, I hope they have some provenance other than a
statement that it came from an assistant. Lets say I am
skeptical. OTOH, I am not about to spend 25K on any camera.
  It certainly is NOT an antique. It is also not a 10x10 but
an 8x10 with a reversable back. A very standard camera. Its
placed backwards on the bipost stand. Evidently the seller
doesn't know much about studio cameras. I also don't quite
get the part about the modified Burke & James back. B&J
cameras took the same backs as Kodak 2D cameras, these won't
fit the Kodak Century studio cameras. What happened to the
original back?
  Karsh probably used several cameras. A bit published in
one of the popular photography magazines of the early
fifties (can't remember which at the moment but probably
Modern Photography) shows Karsh with the manager of the
Ansco sales division along with one of several Ansco
Universal View cameras he bought from them. They were
painted white. Karsh is quoted as saying that he thought
white cameras made his subjects more relaxed.
  What strange stuff shows up on eBay.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA