[LargeFormat] why use transparency film?

Jim Brick largeformat@f32.net
Thu Nov 6 17:22:17 2003

At 10:25 AM 11/6/2003 -0500, LNphoto wrote:

>Why do you use Transparency film?
>
>What is the end purpose of your photogaphs?

Les,

I used to shoot 8x10 Ektachrome (Deardorf) as that's what the advertising
agencies I worked with wanted.

I now shoot 4x5 Velvia. I process it in my JOBO ATL-2400 and print the
results on Cibachrome. I print up to 20x24, which is sort of my standard size.

For larger prints, I have a drum scan done, profiled for a local LightJet
printer, and print up to 48x96". The largest I have printed to date is
48x60". I mount my prints on 1/2" black Gator board and put a very skinny
black frame around it. Mainly for edge protection and ease of hanging.

I sell my prints as fine art, mostly landscapes. Most of my sales are by
word of mouth. Other than numerous 20x24's and 30x40's, I've sold six 48x60
mounted/framed prints. I shipped one of the framed 48x60 prints to Seattle.
$400+ in shipping!

:-)

Jim