[LargeFormat] Shutter Release Cables

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Fri Oct 24 04:36:21 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clive Warren" <Clive.Warren@megacycle.co.uk>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 4:01 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Shutter Release Cables

> As it's fairly quiet thought I would mention the perennial
shutter release
> cable search. I am still looking for a long throw parallel
threaded
> business end cable release for Alphax and Betax self
cocking shutters.

> These seem to be rather thin on the ground here in the UK
as there were not
> too many of the shutters imported. If anyone can help I
would be grateful.

> Cheers,
>             Clive

  FWIW I just tried one of the little Gauthier cable
releases that came with my Rolleis on a No.4 Alphax. It
works fine. I also tried it on a No.4 Ilex Acme (cocking)
shutter and two No.5 Ilex Universal (self setting) shutters.
It works fine on all.
  Straight thread sockets are found on Kodak, Wollensak, and
Ilex shutters but all will take the Deckel tapered thread
type.
  I think the idea that Ilex shutter need extra long throw
cable releases might come from the fact that there is a
small rod in the socket which is sometimes missing. This rod
contacts the lever inside the shutter. If its missing the
cable release must reach all the way inside plus it has a
good chance of wedging under the lever instead of pushing on
it. You can see the end of this thing  when looking into the
socket.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA