[LargeFormat] Eskofot Ultragon

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Thu Oct 23 20:42:22 2003

At 20:14 23/10/2003 -0400, Jim Hemenway wrote:
>Lee Carmichael wrote:
>
>>Hi Jim, How is that Eskofot 210 lens.  I have a set of 150 210 and a 305
>>or so.  I took them off an Eskofot vertical darkroom camera that was
>>intended for use in the printing industry.  I have never mounted it
>>because of money but have always wondered how it would be with continous
>>tone film.
>>lee\c
>Hi Lee:
>
>Mine came out of a vertical process camera as well.  It's actually an
>Ultragon from the Eskofot machine.  I've also seen them marked Eskofot and
>Geragon.
>
>It covers 8x10 fine, just a little too small for 11x14.  I've been doing
>11x14 mostly and the only picture that I've taken with the 210mm and
>subsequently scanned, is this one which is about 2 years old.
>http://www.hemenway.com/pages/8x10%20Birches%20Sumac.htm
>
>The chrome looks a heck of a lot better than the jpeg. I've learned a lot
>more about scanning in the last year or so... when I get a chance, I'm
>going to rescan this and several other 8x10 chromes.

I also have the 150mm and 210mm Ultragons but haven't got around to using
them yet. I was hoping to work out how to take the front and rear cells out
of the barrels to use them in shutters but it is not clear to me how they
come apart from a brief inspection. The front of the lenses are covered by
a plastic aperture ring - this has a single screw holding it so I guess I
should just unscrew it and investigate further..... The rear cell has no
obvious means of removing it.

Jim - is your 210 in a shutter? Great photo.