[LargeFormat] DII enlarger question

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Tue Oct 21 15:42:58 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent Gibbs" <kent_gibbs@yahoo.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 9:34 AM
Subject: [LargeFormat] DII enlarger question

>   I have a DII with the 4"x5" condensers installed and I
have a
> question about smaller formats.  Can 35mm and medium
formats be printed
> using this condenser set or do I need the smaller
condensers?

> Thanks

  The focal length of the condensers must match the focal
length of the enlarging lens. The condensers focus the light
approximately on the entrance pupil of the enlarging lens.
For most enlarging lenses this will be about at the iris
diaphragm.
  If you print small negatives with your 4x5 lens you can
use the same condensers but, of course, you will be able to
make only small prints.
  Condensers are available from people like Harry Taylor and
Bob Watson, they may be expensive.
  The D-II is the early model of this enlarger. The later
D-2 was available with a
variable focal length condenser system but I don't know if
it will fit the earlier model. Either of the below can tell
you.

Bob Watson (no web site) rwatson767@aol.com

Harry Taylor
Harry Taylor