[LargeFormat] Shutterless lens usage

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Fri Oct 17 21:06:27 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "LauvoneT" <pleohmy@yahoo.com>
To: <LargeFormat@f32.net>
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 4:00 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Shutterless lens usage

> Hi,
>
> I have just purchased a Schneider G-Claron 270 WA lens
> without Shutter.
>
> I plan on using the lense on my 4x5 for black and
> white.  My idea is to do the old lens cap off, lens
> cap on, methol of regulating the time.
>
> I figure the exposures will be in the 4 to 10 second
> range, so maybe I can be accurate enough with that
> method.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions??  Are there any
> holes in this method that I don't see??
>
> Also, does anyone know of the quality of this lens.  I
> have a couple of Schneider lenses and they are great.
>
> TIA,
>
> Lauvone
>
> =====
> www.Lauvone.com

   Its a good WA process type lens.
  If you plan to use it much it would be worth investing in
a Packard shutter for it. These are still made and are
cheaper than a regular shutter. If you include the price of
installation of the lens in a new shutter they are much
cheaper. Packards used to show up used frequently at one
time but I have seen very few in the last year or two.
  The Packard is an air operated shutter. It works for T&B
and for a speed of around 1/15 to 1/30th second, depending
on the size of the shutter and how hard you squeeze the
bulb.
  A large Packard shutter can be mounted on a board with an
adaptor to take smaller lens boards so that the same shutter
can be used with many lenses.
  See http://www.hubphoto.com for more about Packard
shutters.

---