[LargeFormat] 11x14 Korona

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed Oct 15 10:17:21 2003

At 09:37 15/10/2003 -0400, Jim Hemenway wrote:
>Hi Clive:
>
>I just now looked at the Korona 11x14 which is currently on ebay.  It has
>the brass inserts to which you have referred, and I can see from the
>photos just how much of a pain-in-the-neck they would be to work with.
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2957683244&category=15248
>
>Mine looks as though it never had the brass inserts because the channels
>are very narrow and there is no room for them.  No brass inserts in the
>wooden base board either.
>
>I wonder if all this makes my camera a newer or an older model?

Jim,

The EBay camera will be a big job to fix. I also have Korona cameras with
and without the brass inserts. One 4x5 camera has a much wider alloy insert
that is polished on the outside. It may be the case that metal to metal
contact wears faster than wood to metal, although brass is self
lubricating. Certainly must have been cheaper to make the cameras without
the insert.

If I was to guess then, it seems likely that the earlier cameras had no
inserts, later brass and finally alloy inserts.

One good thing about your camera is that if there is too much clearance in
the channels from wear then you have the space to machine the wood and add
a brass or alloy insert.

The Raptar lens hasn't arrived yet btw.....