[LargeFormat] An 11x14 Ektachrome shot with rear half of a ProtarVII con...

Jim Hemenway largeformat@f32.net
Tue Oct 14 12:30:24 2003

The real weight is in carrying a box of film, (ten sheets) worth of
11x14 filmholders - five of them.  And neither the Protar or the
Schneider are what might be called "floaters".

I use a Ries metal tripod which has three double legs with an extendable
  middle leg in each doublet.  It has a large Majestic head.

I can carry the Korona in my left hand, the tripod on my right shoulder
with a big canvas bag hanging from the end of the tripod and containing
the filmholders, rear extension, two aluminum braces, whichever lens
isn't on the camera, a pair of extra strong reading glasses instead of a
loupe, a Weston V meter, a small package of silly business cards for
inquisitors, a portfolio of a half dozen chromes, (also for inquisitors)
and an extra large navy blue sweatshirt with sleeves removed and sewn
closed... I'm good for about 7-10 minutes like that, which hardly makes
the Korona only a road side camera.  Since I'm now 62, your mileage will
vary depending on age and other stuff.

The one on ebay now is currently at a reasonable price.  I paid $1,500
for mine about 2 years ago, it included one leaky filmholder, the
Protar, a 305mm Kyvytar (sp) and a Wollensack which I've never used (no
shutter or aperture in it.

Jim "Hardway" Hemenway