[LargeFormat] 11x14 Korona

Jim Hemenway largeformat@f32.net
Tue Oct 14 08:58:33 2003

Clive:

 > Thanks for the info. You have inspired me to search out some expired
 > 8x10 trannie film.

Outdated film can be several years old if stored in a cool or frozen
state. I have several boxes of 11x14 Fujichrome 64T with dates of
1992-1997.  It's still good because it was kept in what the vendor
called "cold storage" before I bought it and stuck it in my freezer.
However if offered several boxes, I try to test a couple of sheets
before handing over the money.

 > It would be good to see a photo of your Korona and VIIa. I do like the
 > Korona cameras and have not seen an 11x14.

I need to clean out my "camera room" soon in order to photograph a bunch
of unneeded equipment which I want to sell.  I'll try to remember to
make some shots of the camera and lens for you.

There is an 11x14 Korona currently on ebay.  The photos don't reveal the
scale of the camera but do show some details:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2957683244&category=15248

Unfortunately the two original wooden braces needed to prevent the
extension rails from breaking appear to be lost, as they almost always
are. You can see the resulting slight bend in the seller's photo.

I now know from personal experience that they are definitely needed when
shooting in situations where the rear extension rail is used to support
the heavier rear part of the camera.

My Korona broke last Wednesday evening at the point where the rear rail
is attached to the center wooden camera base. I was trying to catch the
last light and in my haste, didn't use my homemade aluminum support rails.

I was shooting with the 23 1/4 inch Protar up in the mountains at
Franconia Notch, and was unpleasantly surprised when I heard a loud
crack and saw the back of the camera begin to fall off of the tripod.  I
managed to catch it in time and then subsequently spent a few hours
repairing it the next day with glue and clamps.

Jim