[LargeFormat] Paper negatives

Kent Gibbs largeformat@f32.net
Thu Oct 9 22:38:07 2003

 Just thought I would share a unique (for me anyway) experiment I tried
out tonight.

 I don't have my 4"x5" enlarger setup yet and I was looking for a way
to make larger prints.  I really wasn't happy with the ink jet prints I
was getting so I decided to try making 8"x10" paper negatives and
contact printing them.

 I made a 1200 dpi scan of the negative and then adjusted and cropped
the image to 8" x10" at 360 dpi in Elements.  I then flipped the image,
inverted the tones and printed it on my an Epson 785EPX printer on
normal copier paper at 720 dpi.

 I made various test strips on Ilford Multigrade warm tone at a variety
of exposures and contrast settings.

 I must say that I was absolutely blown away with what I was able to
achieve this way.  The level of detail is much more than I had hoped
for using this method.

 I am interested in doing Calotype salt prints and this pretty much
proves that it can be done using negatives this way.

 I know that Talbot used paper negatives but for me the digital portion
had yet to be proved to my satisfaction.

 When the prints are dry, I will post them if anyone is interested in
viewing them.

 Very pleased in Seattle.

 Kent

=====