[LargeFormat] A Yosemite Moment

Wilkes, Don MSER:EX largeformat@f32.net
Thu Oct 9 11:48:37 2003

> regards, thanks Don for the memories
>
> David Galway

And thank *you* David, for that great story!

We came in on 120, having come in from the north via Sacramento and Manteca,
so didn't see the "clearing storm" vista.  In the back of my mind, I was
wondering where you'd have to be to see that, but with only a couple of days
there, didn't have time for extensive exploration.  There *will* be another
time, though -- Yosemite is a place to which one is destined to return, once
seen.

The first time I ever had a chance to see an Adams exhibit was in the early
'70s in Vancouver. Something kept me in Victoria that week, though, and I
couldn't get to the gallery until a few days after it had closed.  Much to
my delight, however, there was a bin of his prints for sale -- can you
imagine, now, a large bin of signed Adams originals, sitting unguarded in
the corner of a gallery?  It was a pretty emotional moment, gingerly lifting
these stunning prints, one by one, and holding them at arm's length.  I
desparately, desparately wanted one, but as a starving student, there was no
way I could come up with the extravagant $500 they cost.  Even then I knew,
though, that the prices would skyrocket, and it would have been an amazing
investment, although I didn't realize just *how* much they'd be worth today.

Thanks again for sharing your journey's tale -- for once, I think I can say
I know what you mean...

Cheers,
\donw in Victoria