[LargeFormat] The Lost (Photo) Weekend

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Wed Oct 1 23:22:02 2003

rstein wrote:

>PS: What must it be like for the English or the Europeans when everything is
>within an hour on the train and there are pubs at every corner?

Who was it that said 'Europeans think 100 miles is a long way, Americans
think 100 years is a long time'?

We all fall victim to windshield time.  I travel on business
irregularly... several months can go by and I don't rack up more than a
few 100 km of work-related jaunts, then a project will sprout up out of
town and for a few months I'll be back and forth to site meetings and
inspections... put in a full day, then drive 600km through the mountains
(usually in the dark) dodging deer and whatever else is silly enough to
jump out of the gloom.  The silly thing is I take the time to
religiously pack my camera gear... and what do I shoot?  35mm record
shots of the job.  Drive right by the turning leaves in the golden
evening sun, right past the mountain range silhouetted against an early
morning or late evening sky.  Always under the gun to be somewhere else
an hour sooner than can be reasonably expected.

I'm waiting for the digital attachment that straps to your head and
records the image off your retina.  That would put an end to those lost
'crap, that's a great image but I can't stop now' photos.

Brock