[LargeFormat] Suggestions for Fall Color - Columbus to Chicago

Verna Knapp largeformat@f32.net
Thu Sep 25 23:10:04 2003

Yes, they are wonderful to have. I got a Sportsmobile van conversion built

from a Ford Econoline last December. I got the extended body van, E350,
so there is plenty of space in it, and it has plenty of power for the
mountains. It is 19 1/2 feet long. The shorter one would have been about
17 1/2'. It is a tossup as to which size is better. So far I have 9000
miles on it, and I love it.

It has a 4 cubic foot refrigerator, along with sink, stove, furnace,
water, bed, toilet facilities and lockable storage for the cameras. It
also has zip out screens and zip out vinyl windows in the pop top, to it
can double as a bird blind or photo platform. The fiberglass roof will
support 300 pounds, so I had a ladder built on the back of the van and
used the Yakima rack mountings for railings so I can use it for a
shooting platform, or lie on top of it looking at the stars at night.
There is also lots of non-locked storage. For our rugged western US
conditions, I also had 4x4 installed, as I go into some pretty
questionable areas wrt roads. It has lots of road clearance, and plenty
of insulation. Very comfortable. Mine was custom made to my own design.
They don't charge extra for that. Just use the components they make
available for the standard designs and rearrange them, or customize
within a limited range. Or just ask for the "Photographer's edition",
which is a standard layout with some equipment storage. See photos of
this one at: http://kennanward.com/index.html  The Sportsmobile company
has plants in California, Texas, and Indiana USA. Web site:
http://www.sportsmobile.com/

One of these days I'm going to get enough time off from work to spend
more than 4 days at a stretch in it. Maybe New Mexico or Arizona during
the Xmas holidays. Maybe clear to California and back. I would survive
getting stuck in a blizzard in it, but it would not be a great way to
get a lot of photos, so I think I'll head south. I'm in northern Colorado.

This is a wonderful luxury to have, and I plan to wear mine out, and
then get another one. And keep on doing it for as long as I can. I'm
just sorry I didn't do it sooner. They are so darned expensive that I
thought about it for two years longer than I should have.

And no, I'm not getting paid to say this! I'm just a very happy owner.

Verna

--

"Seize every minute of life...look at it and really see it...
                live it...and never give it back."