[LargeFormat] Advice on Lens Choice

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Sep 22 08:58:40 2003

At 17:38 21/09/2003 -0700, R.E. Younger, Photographer wrote:
snip
>I have four lenses for my Deardorff; a 165, a 210, a 300, and a 480. I use
>the 165, 300 and 480 regularly, very occasionally use the 210; and I wish
>for an 800. I have limited movements with the 165 due to the physical
>restrictions of the much compressed bellows. But it works just fine. The
>only reason I don't use the 210 much is that if I need the wider angle I'll
>opt usually for the 165. Hence, when the choice is a water bottle or another
>lens, the 210 doesn't always make it into the backpack.
>Hope any of that is helpful.
>Bob

Bob,

Which 165mm lens are you using? I have a 165mm Angulon that covers 8x10 but
with no movements and prefer to use a Series V Protar for wide angle shots
even though it is a bit dim for focusing.

As for the longer FLs it seems to me that anything longer than around 500mm
starts to become a little difficult to manage on 8x10 given the weight and
greater movements required with shallower depth of field to place the plane
of sharp focus.

Re. the 210mm options, people often suggest using a G-Claron but if you
look at the coverage figures for the 210mm it may be OK for close-up work
when stopped down, but the image circle at infinity is a little challenged
for 8x10. Perhaps if the negs are used for contact printing then a little
softness at the edges is OK.