[LargeFormat] Batches*

Huib Smeets largeformat@f32.net
Sat Sep 20 03:22:01 2003

before tonight.

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: largeformat-admin@f32.net [mailto:largeformat-admin@f32.net] Namens
rstein
Verzonden: zaterdag 20 september 2003 4:33
Aan: largeformat@f32.net
Onderwerp: [LargeFormat] Batches*

Dear Nieces and Nephews,

     I had a photo model ask me last night if I could juggle three
balls. In case you are nervous about where this posting is going, I
hasten to add the model in question is an amateur fire-twirler and
wanted to find out how to juggle three tennis balls soaked in kerosene
and set alight. I have seen this done with 3 toilet rolls on a beach in
Albany, but that is a measure of the kind of people that live in Albany.

    As it happened, I was engaged in a bit of juggling myself at the
time. I have just bought a Super Rollex back for my Linhof E from the
eBay and I am using it for the 2004 calendar illustrations. Ever so much
cheaper film costs than 4 x 5 sheet - I get 8 shots for $ 8 versus 8
shots for $ 40 - and at a final print size of 5 x 7 the quality is more
than adequate.

    But back to the juggling. First I set up the shot, than I frame it
through the GG back and then I close everything down and clip off the GG
back and clip on the Super Rollex. It is all time and I am deathly
afraid of dropping the backs as I change them or shifting the camera
position. So a question has arisen in my mind.

     Does Linhof make a sliding back for the Kardan series of cameras  -
in the same manner that they used to make a sliding back for the
Technikas? You know - GG screen and reflex finder on one section and
film back of some description on the other. I have seen this in the
older Linhof catalogs and PTI's, but am unsure whether they are made for
the Kardans.

     Answers all appreciated.

     Uncle Dick

PS: Many of the models have clothes on this time, some have plate
armour. Ahh, but one is wearing 3 metres of organza....