[LargeFormat] Batches*

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Fri Sep 19 22:26:21 2003

Dear Nieces and Nephews,

     I had a photo model ask me last night if I could juggle three balls. In
case you are nervous about where this posting is going, I hasten to add the
model in question is an amateur fire-twirler and wanted to find out how to
juggle three tennis balls soaked in kerosene and set alight. I have seen
this done with 3 toilet rolls on a beach in Albany, but that is a measure of
the kind of people that live in Albany.

    As it happened, I was engaged in a bit of juggling myself at the time. I
have just bought a Super Rollex back for my Linhof E from the eBay and I am
using it for the 2004 calendar illustrations. Ever so much cheaper film
costs than 4 x 5 sheet - I get 8 shots for $ 8 versus 8 shots for $ 40 - and
at a final print size of 5 x 7 the quality is more than adequate.

    But back to the juggling. First I set up the shot, than I frame it
through the GG back and then I close everything down and clip off the GG
back and clip on the Super Rollex. It is all time and I am deathly afraid of
dropping the backs as I change them or shifting the camera position. So a
question has arisen in my mind.

     Does Linhof make a sliding back for the Kardan series of cameras  - in
the same manner that they used to make a sliding back for the Technikas? You
know - GG screen and reflex finder on one section and film back of some
description on the other. I have seen this in the older Linhof catalogs and
PTI's, but am unsure whether they are made for the Kardans.

     Answers all appreciated.

     Uncle Dick

PS: Many of the models have clothes on this time, some have plate armour.
Ahh, but one is wearing 3 metres of organza....