[LargeFormat] Patching bellows pinholes

James Krysan largeformat@f32.net
Fri Sep 12 15:10:56 2003

--- David Galway <design@wizbot.net> wrote:

> Took possession of an ebay-bought 8x10 Kodak Master
> this summer; the
> bellows has a few to several pinholes at the corners
> at full extension.
>
> My 5x7 Ansco had similar problems which I was
> advised to fix by using
> black neoprene cement on the outside, the stuff they
> use to repair
> wetsuits. It worked fairly well, but reapplication
> was necessary every
> so often depending on use, and time of year (it
> works not so well during
> the cold winter months of course).
>
> Are there any other tried and true patching methods?
> I'm throwing a
> darkcloth over the bellows, but until I can afford
> to replace them I'd
> like to have a fix on the bellows themselves.
>
> If/when worse comes to worse, are there any North
> American, preferably
> Canadian, bellows makers? Is the whole camera
> generally sent for repair,
> or do I do the installation myself?
>
> regards
> David Galway
> Twp. of Georgian Bay
> Canada

I once successfully covered "holes" (some bigger than
"pinholes" in a badly worn bellows with the following
concoction:  White fabric glue (from a fabric or craft
store) to which was added enough fine graphite powder
(sold at hardware stores to lubricate locks) to yield
an opaque glue.  It remained quite flexible and held
light-tight for several years (but no cold weather
tests).  I don't remember the brand of glue but I
suspect it was just a good grade of PVA glue - the
sort available from bookbinder's supply stores.  I
understand Elmer's glue is PVA but I can't attest to
how it works on fabric or leather.
This is just a sample of one, but it worked for me.
Good luck, Jim