[LargeFormat] Joy Abounding

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Thu Sep 4 06:36:02 2003

Dear Nephews Philip and Brock,

     My faith in human nature, at least as far as Cleveland is concerned, is
restored.

    The Super Rollex back arrived safely this morning and is all it was
advertised to be. I am puzzling whether to orientate it on the back of the
Kardan E with the darkslide drawn up or down. Any advice?

    In any case it looks to be the perfect way to do some of the rectangular
dance pictures in the studio - 150mm Symmar S, Portra 160 NC, and the camera
fixed on a tripod pointing to the dance area. Then the girls can fling it
about to their ( and my ) heart's content while I recock the shutter and
advance the back. The increase in effective negative area from 45mm x 56 mm
to 56mm x 90mm should increase the quality of the result - without breaking
the bank on the cost of colour sheet film.

    Horrify yourselves with this - it costs $ 5 per sheet for 4 x 5 Portra
160 VC here in Perth. Fuji ain't cheaper. And yet the cost of the chemicals
to develop C 41 has dropped to the point where I can develop that same sheet
of film for 33 cents and print it for and extra $ 1.

    BTW I noticed someone was selling a Techno Rollex back a month ago on
the auction site and it went for a good price out of Hong Kong. I was
tempted but my eBay adviser whispered that there were factors in the
advertisement that she was uneasy about and I took her advice.

    Uncle Dick