[LargeFormat] 5x7 Panaotomic-X aerial film project...

tripspud largeformat@f32.net
Wed Sep 3 13:37:33 2003

Hi!

     I've just set up the 5x7 modified Seneca/WF Ektar 135/6.3
on the Tiltall and took one of the windon&curtains.  The meter
said 4 seconds @ f/8.  I think I overexposed with 11 seconds,
allowing too much for the reciprocity in the highlight reading,
whcih I'm attempting to get on around VII or VIII.  Ballpark
is okay as the film is outdated and the camera/procedure all
new, first try, well second as the first time I didn't have enough
developer in the tray.  Ok this time.

     I used Rodinal 1:25 @70F, continuous agitation via
lifting one corner than the opposite gently for about 5 minutes.
I tried using that No. 3 inspection safelight with a 25 watt
bulb at about 4 feet.  I think I could see the density, but
as the film was cut from a bulk 1000' 5-inch roll, there's
no film notch and I lost track of the emulsion side, and
I tried both the indirect method and looking through.
No luck looking through on this negative as the main
central part is heavy density.  I've got shadow detail in
the wall around the window.

      The camera is staying setup where it is.  I'll
try again.  I'm very excited about this project.  As
far as handling the film, which is only 2.5 mils thick,
I'll stick with just one film at a time for now.  It may
be more practical to develop several sheets at a time
up to maybe half a dozen via using one 5x7 tray per
sheet.  That way, if I can develop some skill in seeing
with the inspection safelight, than each sheet could be
put in the stop bath when it's 'done'.

       It seems to me the film is too thin to put in hangers
and a large tank, which I don't have now anyway.  Using
a bigger tray, 11x14 and moving the film from one pile
to the other is also a possibility.   But I like the idea of
separate trays fro each film.

      Eventually, like next summer, I hope to take the
camera outside on some extented trip to one of the
western states beauty spots.

      Right now I'm 'all thumbs' with the new gear!  This
project has been on hold because I've been working
getting the 35mm format setup in the field and darkroom.
These are my two formats I've settled on using.

Cheers,

Rich Lahrson
Berkeley, California
tripspud@transbay.net