[LargeFormat] Shutter Release Cables for Betax and Alphax Wanted

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jul 26 19:20:01 2003

At 14:20 25/07/2003 -0700, Richard Knoppow wrote:

> [...]
huge snip

>   Compur pattern cable releases should work OK in Kodak
>style sockets provided their throw is long enough. Enough of
>the tapered thread will catch to hold the cable.
>   Kodak, Ilex, and Wollensak used the parallel sided
>threads, most other manufacturers use the Compur style
>tapered thread. I think late Wollensake Rapax/Graphex
>shutters use the Compur thread.
>   One problem with Ilex shutters is that that they often are
>missing a plunger which goes in the cable release socket.
>The result is that the cable release tip can get jammed in
>the interior mechanism plus they need an inordinately long
>throw. The plunger can be lost when the shutter is partly
>disassembled for cleaning.
>   Test the shutter with a common or garden variety cable
>release before searching for Kodak style.

Richard,

Thanks for the tip about Ilex shutter plungers. Will be checking out
various shutters here.

The engineer in me does not like the idea of using a tapered thread in a
square hole. The Alphax and Betax shutters require a faire amount of force
to both cock and fire the shutter. Having the appropriate cable will ensure
that threads are not eventually stripped through using a contemporary cable
with a tapered end.