[LargeFormat] Re: [LargeFormat]Plug in coolers (was Summer in the City)

Georges Giralt largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jul 18 22:28:20 2003

It seems that these fridge/coolers came in several flavor. Some are
based upon Peltier effect and can only produce a slight thermal
difference between inside/outside of the cooler.
Some are real fridge but based on absorption instead of compression, and
  are able to produce deep frost, if feed with enough energy (thermal
energy : Petrol burning, sun heat, electric resistor....)
The later kind is somewhat expensive because the thermal fluid is
somewhat corosive, so one need higly priced materials to keep it, the
are often bulky, and heavy. But they oftem run on propane cylinders, 12V
car battery, or 110V mains...
Years ago, I was able to buy such a fridge made in China, in France for
a few bucks, failed to do so, and regret it since... So if you see one
in a camping supply shop or at a sale, do not hesitate.