[LargeFormat] BW 4x5 processing

Joseph O'Neil largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jul 17 08:06:14 2003

>I was down at Vistek and Henry's last night Ken, and was surprised at
>how "stripped down" both are ... the shelves don't have much depth, as
>it were. (So sorry, no Jobo ... )
-snip-

>Where do the big stores in other regional centres stand?

         Alt-Camera went belly up a few eyars agos.  In fact, allt he major
camera sotres in downtown toronto, on Queen St. East have gone "yuck", IMO,
compared to what they all sued to be.  At one time I used to go a coupel
times a year just down Qeen St. E to see allt he camera stores in the area
- Torontom Camera on Young, Vistek, henry's, and Alt- all on Queens, and
allt he pawn shops in the area too.  ti was a photogrpahers dream.

         All the good camera stores are very thin on stock anymore.  The
only two I reccomedn in Toronto - for large format and darkroom are:

www.harrysproshop.com

         The guy who runs this store used to run the pro department of
Alt-0Camera many moons ago.  Best prices on LF lenses and cameras in all fo
Canada, does mail order, and speaks" large format" fluently".  i do nto
thing he stock darkroom supplies

www.eightelmphoto.com

         They used to be just off Younge St, on #8 Elm, but now are in a
smaller shop on Bay street, near Elm.  Again, as with Harry's, they speak
"large format" fluently".

         They also stock a lot of not only large format suppleir, but
darkroom supplies aimed at the large format market.  They also ahve allt he
hard to find stuff liek Bergger and Forte Pan papers, chemistry, they sell
PMMK Pyro (or used to),a nd lots of other hard to find things.
         A very small store, but the shelves are stuffed tight as can be,
so ont he balance of things, maybe better to have a small sotre packed full
of stuff than a large store with thin shelves.  :)
         However, not sure either store stocks Jobo.  Even ten years ago,
Vistek stocked very little Jobo, save for used stuff, which all looked liek
it went through a war zone and had nevefr been cleaned in a million years.

         Note to retailers sellign used Jobo processors - anywhere - clena
off the used fix, even if it takes you a while and some elbow
grease.  Really gross to buy another person's mess - in short - it isn't
going to happen!

         Those are the oly two stores let in all Canada i  buy large format
suppleis form - paer, film, lenses, etc.  We used to have a wonderful store
here in my hometown of London, Ontario, but they just closed up this past
year, and nobody has pciked up the slack.  Now, instead of picking up 4x5
Tri-X off the shelf, it''s now special order.  :(
         At leas 8 Elm keeps 4x5 film and B&W chemistry in stock at all times.
joe

http://www.oneilphoto.on.ca
http://www.multiboard.com/~joneil
Una salus victis, nullam sperare salutem