[LargeFormat] Re: Tips on Architecture photographs

Tim Atherton largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jul 13 23:30:46 2003

> This raises an interesting point. Depending on which country you
> are in, you are will certainly be infringing the copyright of the
> architect if you take unauthorised photographs of his/her
> building. In general, non specific streetscapes are allowed
> without permission but photographs of individual buildings are not.
>
> IANAL - do we have anyone here who can explain these issues in
> greater depth (or provide a link)?

In many western countries (and I'm going to leave France out of this) - and
certainly in the english speaking ones, say the US, Canada, UK, Australia
etc, you can photograph any building you want from a public place - it's how
you chose use that photograph that is defined by copyright law and/or other
civil laws. Depending on the country, the photograph may be freely used for
editorial/news use (freedom of the press) or possibly artistic use - say in
an exhibition of your own work. But it varies by jurisdiction. Most
countries seem to have a "photographer and the law" type book or guide
published by someone. They usually include this in them.

In all that I know of, you certainly can't be stopped from photographing a
building from a public place for your own use. Indeed, in Canada for
example, to prevent you from doing that would be a violation of your Rights
under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. And of course, copyright in a
building design expires in the same way as any other copyright. So even
though someone owns the building you are photographing, you may not be
violating copyright - though of course, there could be other property issues
if you use the image for certain commercial uses. So you really do need to
check your jurisdiction.

tim